Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Gravedigger

Don't worry about me -- I'm just posting this here because I've played this three times already and still enjoying it. (Posting it here means I need not have to search for it again.)

I thought I owned this CD, but I can't find it. They played it on the cable music channel and I had to get up and dance and sing along -- which may sound crazy to many of you, but then you likely don't visit cemeteries on purpose either. I find this song both saddening and life affirming; fearful and wistful. If I must only pick one word... Beautiful.

Here are the lyrics:

Sirus Jones 1810 to 1913
Made his great grandchildren believe he could live to 103,
103 is forever when you're just a little kid
So Sirus Jones lived forever.

Grave digger
When you dig my grave
Would you make it shallow
So that i can feel the rain.

Murial stone wall 1903 to 1954
She lost both of her babies in the second great war,
Now you should never have to watch
As your only children lower into the ground,
You should never have to burry your own babies.

Grave digger
When you dig my grave
Would you make it shallow
So that i can feel the rain

Ring around the rosy
Pocket full of posy
Ashes to ashes
We all fall down

Grave digger
When you dig my grave
Could you make it shallow
So that i c an feel the rain

Little Mikey Karson 67 to 75
he rode his bike like the devil
Till the day he died
When he grows up he wants to be Mr. Vertigo
On the flying trapeze 1940 to 1992

Oh grave digger
When you dig my grave
Could you make it shallow
So that i can feel the rain,
Grave digger
When you dig my grave
Could make it shallow
So that i can feel the rain
I can feel the rain,
Grave digger,
Grave digger.

This is the long video version, which I had not seen until today. I didn't expect to like it -- you know how it is when you like a song (or book) so much that any film version is automatically 'less than.'

No comments: