Friday, December 28, 2007

Luck Be A Lenci Tonight (Part One)

As most of you know, I have a modest doll collection -- well, it is modest in size, but as most of it is based on the lingerie, I guess it's also an immodest doll collection. *wink*

However, it might surprise you to know that I have a secret desire for Lenci dolls; this because of the Lona book by Dare Wright. I've only seen the photos and heard of the story, but somehow, it's so compelling to me... As if I remember it, somehow...


Maybe it was read to me as a tiny child and it is still in there somehow -- but whatever the reason, I am compelled to seek not only the book, but the doll. Not the real Lona, the doll that belonged to Dare Wright; but one like it.

If I only knew which one it was.

Besides the troubles with digital photos, and the fact that even the official website only refers to Lona as "a long-limbed Lenci doll" and not by a particular doll name or number, but Dare used to modify her dolls -- not only making clothes for them, but repainting faces too. So how much luck will I have?

And should I find her, would I be able to afford her...

Perhaps this is fate's way of protecting me from additional sorrow, lack of knowledge shielding me from loss...

It's rather ironic as that's what Dare's books were really about.


Dare's life is equally intriguing. Model turned photographer, she certainly was unconventional. And more than a bit fragile. She passed in 2001 -- and a year later I stumbled into her books.


But the more I think about Lona and Dare, well, I'm more than smitten. (I'd say obsessed, but that's a word I use so often with lingerie that it somehow seems less specific to this situation.)

For the past few years I've had The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll: The Search for Dare Wright on my wish list; but no one's gotten it for me yet... I hope to get it & read it before the movie is released (due in 2009).


As one reviewer put it, Dare had a "childlike effort at life that was both futile and bold" -- and doesn't that just smack of what the photos of Lona do?

No comments: