Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Trumping Trompe L'Oeil

It wasn't that long ago that we ripped off the old wallpaper murals of Grecian gardens etc. in our collective dinning rooms.

I remember being stupefied as to why my folks were zealously (if frustratingly) steaming and pulling off the large sheets (in tiny shreds) so they could paint the walls (a bold Mediterranean gold to go with our red carpet, wrought-iron & heavy, dark wood furniture). But they did.

Now that we're old and wiser, we're putting them back on again. (My parents, not-so-much; they've been there, done that, and don't want to do it again.)





Sure, some still paint murals -- and we're not talking stencils either.



Often, we're using vinyl stickers for easier cleaning and (we hope) removal. And these are often in more mod designs, not designed to fool the eye into being anything more than "Style".



I don't know if I should laugh or cry... I know I wish I at least had photos of the stuff I've seen removed -- prior to its removal, that is.

1 comment:

thombeau said...

I love that second photo!