Thursday, February 14, 2008

Giving You The Bird, By Decades (60's & 70's)


Thirteen Birds Of The 60s and 70s


As Pop Tart noted, the 60's were owly.






(Necklace & sugar bowl via Flickr.)

Of course, you didn't throw the dish towels out with the dish water -- or the 70's. But the 70's would usher in new birds...

First the Jonathan Livingston Seagull.



Then gulls were covering everything from walls to fabrics to driftwood.






But then the bicentennial would hit, and those freedom-loving hippies had better grow-up and remember that America was the land of the free -- and choose the eagle. (Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle helped.)




It was pretty darn kitschy, that eagle, even when stitchy. Usually it was red, white and blue, but not always.




Even when Early American furniture looks were resurrected it was kitschy. I remember all to well the booth at Woolworth's with its faux wood plastic 'carved' with the eagle, wings out-spread, and claws holding not the traditional arrows and olive branches, but flags. :shudder:




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment and links on Mister Linky accepted!





9 comments:

Robin said...

We had one of those awful wire sculptures growing up. Thankfully minus the birds though.

Pop Tart said...

I remember that furniture! (Not happily either lol)

The owl sugar bowl is cute -- but that wire thing, I can't imagine the dusting issues!

Will you be doing other decades?

susiej.com said...

Oh yes, I remember those owls... my Mom was really into this!

Miranda said...

Omg...I rremember those owls, I used to macrame them all the time. My mom and I used to sell them.

Happy TT!!

fullbodytransplant said...

What a hoot!

(Bad pun for the win.)

Lynne said...

Owls were hugely popular! We still have one of those wood blocks, instead of a seagull, it has a whale on it.

crushedglass said...

I love macrame owls. I want to collect them but I don't come across them often enough.

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

I'm kinda fixated on the owls more than the seaguls and eagle too... I'm thinking back before my time in Canada to the "Ookpik" craze of the 1960's...

nicholas said...

What about "The Birds"?