Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fashion Comebacks That Equal Fashion Faux Pas?

In 5 Trends That Should Never Have Resurged, Sam Crocker calls 'em like he sees 'em. I, naturally, take issue with a few of his calls -- and I've got the right to calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Let's start with his number one spot, animal prints. I love animal prints -- maybe not the retro 80's day-glo turquoise and black zebra prints so much, but generally speaking, je t'adore animal prints. Most especially leopard print (gorgeous -- go see!). And isn't it preferable to actual animal fur? So how can fashion faux paws be a fashion faux pas?

Also making his list, fake vintage. Sam uses this retro styled Strawberry Shortcake tee to illustrate his point.



Personally, I find retro styled tees and fashions a-OK. Obviously I'd prefer authentic vintage, but hey, it's not always available -- nor can it always be found in your size.

And, in any case, most fashion is recycled or resurgent -- be it acknowledged or not.

3 comments:

Crockstar said...

It's really nice to see your response to my post. I can definitely understand what you are saying about the animal prints being better than real fur! I will give you that one every day of the week.

Also, as for the size remark on the fake vintage clothing you raise an interesting point so I will concede that one as well. That said, I stand by the fact that people should have been alive during that product/character's initial fame if they are going to go through the trouble to get the fake vintage version :)

Nice post though!

SlipOfAGirl said...

Hi Crockstar,

I don't mean to sound snarky when you've been so nice as to stop by -- and concede a few points yet -- but...

If you insist upon standing upon the principal that people should have been alive during that character/person/product's initial fame, I have to ask you about shirts with Charlie Chaplin's or Marilyn Monroe's image, vintage Harley logo shirts... Are we really supposed to ignore icons & their images we are huge fans of just because we were born too late?

A Margarita said...

Strawberry Shortcake <3 I would def but that t-shirt, and I'm kinda sad it's vintage, it dates me!