Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bebe & Fuzzy Friend



OK, if you're reading down here, that probably means you give a flip what I'm thinking and why I posted this; so I'll tell you.

You might just be thinking, "Well, duh, who doesn't love an incredible vintage dressing room photograph?" And that's true enough, especially when the lovely lady, Bebe Daniels, is wearing pretty lingerie and holding a kitten.

And you might just think I'm posting this in my ladies who lounge series because I'm torn between the lovely lingerie and the incredible decor of the room. After all, that's what I said when I started the series.

But truth be told, there's something a little more creepy involved too...

Whenever I watch an old movie, see an old photo, with animals in them, I always think, "That animal is dead now."

I told you it was creepy.

Yes, I know, often the people themselves in the photos are dead too. (Whenever I say this aloud while watching movies with family &/or friends, I am reminded of this -- as if I were intellectually slow.) But something about the shorter lifespan of animals, about how they aren't as celebrated as their human celluloid celebrities, makes them seem more vulnerable, less inclined to be remembered or recognized for having lived at all.

Animals are so often props -- not only in film, or photography, but in every day real life -- that commenting on their passing somehow seems to reaffirm their status of once having been alive.

5 comments:

Carol Yates Wilkerson said...

OMG, another person who thinks like me. I look at those animals (and people) and think about them all being dead too. Too weird!

SlipOfAGirl said...

I know I couldn't be alone - no matter how weird my family thinks I am, I am not alone in it ;)

Rick said...

Having lost our dog and cat within 2 weeks of each other last year your comments really hit home. One of the great joys in life is a fuzzy companion and friend yet we have to face from the beginning that they will suffer from being as Niel Diamond put it, "done too soon".
Rick

Rick said...

It just dawned on me that we named our new cat "Miz Kitty" in honor of Amanda Blake of "Gunsmoke" fame. She was a serious supporter of humane animal treatment and one of the initial supporters of PAWS, an animal welfare organization for performing critters. Talk about a full circle

Giovanna said...

Holy cow! I think the SAME exact thing! (Except parrots. Those things live longer than humans!) Nice to know that I'm not the only one with that morbid thought. And I never think that about the people, either. Though, when I see a baby in an old movie, I always try and calculate their current age and (awful) likeliness of them being alive now.
Also, animals from back in the day just seemed so much less well-groomed than animals nowadays, so they just lend themselves better to the idea of not being alive anymore.

So odd to have found this post!